The Dance School of Scotland is the country’s only fully funded centre of excellence for vocational dance and musical theatre. The School, which is funded by The Scottish Executive, is incorporated into Knightswood Secondary School in the West End of Glasgow.
Dance and Musical Theatre professionals provide expert teaching and training within the school’s ‘state of the art’ facilities. Entry to the school is by audition, with entry to the Dance course in S1, entry to Preparatory Theatre course in S3 and entry to the Musical Theatre course in S5. There is also a one year Musical Theatre Course with entry at S6. Students at the Dance School not only receive specialist tuition but also take part in the mainstream curriculum of the Secondary school. The schools provide a unique blend, pupils have the opportunity to fulfil their performance potential while developing a strong academic education.
All the students are required to bring is their talent!! Although the facilities, tuition and standards are outstanding, entry to the school is free. The School has developed a national and international reputation and many of today’s top performers in Dance and Musical theatre are former students.
The Dance School accepts applications by talented youngsters from all over Scotland. For students who would find it impossible to travel from home we operate our own residence, which is located on the Knightswood Secondary School campus. Unfortunately we are not able to accept applications from young people who do not live in Scotland.
The Dance School of Scotland is a wonderful and unique institution dedicated to nurturing and developing talented young dance and musical theatre students. We are very proud of the standards we achieve and the reputation we enjoy.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the school or would like to attend a performance by these talented young people.
- Full academic curriculum provided at Knightswood Secondary School
- 1 ½ hour specialist dance or musical theatre tuition daily during school hours
- Up to an additional 2 ½ hours dance or musical theatre classes after school Mon – Fri
- Residential accommodation provided on-site (if necessary)
- Dance Course entry S1 – S5
- Musical Theatre entry S3 (Preparatory Theatre Course), S5 and S6
- State of the art facilities including 6 fully equipped dance studios, drama studio, gyrotonics and physio rooms and music room.
- No tuition fees: fully funded by the Scottish Government to children resident in Scotland